A large convoy of Russian military equipment drove through Mariupol towards the Zaporozhye region. This was announced by the adviser to the mayor of the city Petr Andryushchenko. According to him, yesterday up to 100 pieces of equipment drove through the streets of Mariupol: in particular, BMD-4 and armored personnel carriers.
In addition, Andryushchenko said that “a large number of Russian soldiers brought by KAMAZ trucks” arrived in the villages of Mangushsky and Nikolsky districts of the Donetsk region, bordering on the Zaporozhye region, among which there were conscripts.
“They settle mainly in the premises of schools. Locals report that the vast majority are young men. Some in conversations mentioned that they were serving on conscription.”
A military expert, Colonel Sergei Grabsky, in an interview with The Insider noted that the convoy may not be heading to Zaporozhye.
“Zaporozhye direction is now stable. We see nothing there but rather intense shelling. The column of vehicles that moves from Mariupol can basically move anywhere. They said that in Zaporozhye, but this does not mean that she is going in this direction. This may be planned replenishment or rotation, etc. Today, we do not see any special signs that would indicate that the occupiers are trying to increase the presence of their forces. Even if they try to do it, it will take them a colossal amount of time. About 50% of the contingent that is now fighting against Ukraine is concentrated in the Donbas direction. Therefore, equipment can move, but so far no major changes are expected. In terms of the number of people, there is now relative parity, in terms of technology, of course, Russia is still larger than Ukraine, but this still allows the Ukrainian troops to prevent any attempts by the Russians to advance and secure more advantageous positions for themselves. The situation is stable, there is an exchange of blows in artillery. If I am not mistaken, even HIMARS has not yet been used in that direction.”
On July 9, Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine Iryna Vereshchuk, on the air of the national telethon, called for the evacuation of residents of the occupied Kherson and Zaporozhye regions by “all available means”.
“No matter how hard it is on the territory that is now controlled by the Ukrainian government… anyway, staying on the territory of the Kherson or Zaporozhye regions is many times worse and many times more dangerous,” she said.
According to her, the Ukrainian army intends to de-occupy these territories. “These are going to be huge fights. I don’t want to scare anyone, everyone already understands everything, ”said Vereshchuk.
Civilians were also urged to evacuate by the first deputy chairman of the Kherson Regional Council Yuriy Sobolevsky. According to him, those who remain need to prepare for hostilities, seek shelter, water and food.