The death toll from the collapse of a footbridge in India has risen to 141 people, according to NDTV. More than 500 people were on the bridge at the time of the collapse, according to local media.
The bridge on the Machhu dam near the city of Morbi was closed for two years for reconstruction. It was opened on October 26, and after 4 days it collapsed.
“Renovations were carried out last week. We are also in shock. We are looking into this issue… The government is taking responsibility for this tragedy,” said Gujarat Labor and Employment Minister Brijesh Merja.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also said the government was responsible for the collapse.
The victims were promised compensation. Relatives of the victims will receive 2 million rupees ($24,000) each, while the victims will receive 50,000 rupees ($600).