PMC Wagner mercenaries shot down three helicopters of the Russian Aerospace Forces near the M-4 highway (Rostov/Voronezh region). This is reported by the Fighterbomber Telegram channel associated with the Russian Aerospace Forces.
According to the channel, two Mi-8 MTPR and Mi-35 were shot down. It is reported that the Mi-8 MTPR are helicopters of the electronic warfare troops (EW) and they did not have weapons. The crews are alive, presumably a crew member of one of the helicopters was injured.
“Due to the fact that the Wagner convoy travels along the M4 highway interspersed with civilian vehicles, helicopters obviously cannot work,” the channel notes.
The information is confirmed by the Helicopterpilot Telegram channel associated with army aviation, he writes that the helicopters were shot down after they opened fire on the Wagner convoy. “The Mi-35 was used by PMCs. There is no information on the crew. Previously, PMCs returned fire after being used on their convoy,” the channel said in a statement.
Also, according to Helicopterpilot sources, “ordinary crews, who were tasked with hitting the PMC column, refused to complete the task. As a result, someone flew higher.
The Caution News channel publishes a video from the track in the Voronezh region. The footage shows the Pantsir air defense missile system.
Prigozhin, in a conversation with Deputy Defense Minister Yevkurov and First Deputy Head of the GRU General Staff Alekseev, said that PMC Wagner had already shot down three helicopters of the Russian Aerospace Forces. “We will shoot down all [helicopters] if you send them. Because you are shooting at civilians, you are destroying civilians, you just destroyed a bus full of people, and you had no conscience,” Prigozhin told Yevkurov.
Fighterbomber also writes that the Wagner PMC took control of the Millerovo military airfield, the aircraft performs combat missions, but there are representatives of the PMC on board.
Earlier, Reuters and the BBC, citing sources, reported that Wagner PMC mercenaries had taken control of all military installations in Voronezh. On June 24, a counter-terrorist operation regime was introduced in the Voronezh region.